After watching the video above, read the about page to get an understanding of my philosophy on personal growth (character development). Then utilize the image and questions below to begin framing your own journey of personal growth.
Remember the 3 principles that act as the foundation to this process:
- Take Complete Ownership
- Constantly Master Fundamentals
- Embrace Failure
Email questions/comments to TravisDaigleCDC@gmail.com .
- Future – Write down 4 categories: Health, Finances, Work, and Relationships. What would you like each category to look like 5-10 years from now and why? This is your vision. Vision helps us to organize our efforts and contextualize our experience/decisions on a day-to-day basis.
- Present – Do your best to set some measurable 1 year goals relative to your vision. Write them down in specific language. Specific goals are critical because they specify action.
- Execution – At this point, we’ve already been doing some learning and planning. Now it is time to execute against those goals. In the process of execution we will hit inflection points of both pain and pleasure. This is the ’emotional cloud’ that I talk about in the video.
- Circumstances – I believe emotions are teachers that give us clues about how life actually works. Specifically, emotions (both painful and pleasurable) help us discover new truths about ourselves and the world around us. Analyzing correlated circumstances helps us put words to those truths. What was happening when you experienced pleasurable feelings? What was happening when you experienced uncomfortable feelings? – What circumstances surround your current experience?
- Expectations – During times of painful/pleasurable emotions I believe we are reacting to unmet expectations. Why are you experiencing certain emotions? What expectations weren’t met or were exceeded that then cause the corresponding emotions?
- Beliefs – Beliefs, Stories (The word I use in the speech), Perspectives, Paradigms about how life ‘works’ and ‘should work’ create our expectations. Write the belief(s) behind the expectations.
- Source – Something from our Past (Social Conditioning/Family/Major Life Events – Traumas/Triumphs) has influenced our belief system… Our story about how life works. Where do your current beliefs come from?
- Learn – Ask yourself, “What is actually confirmed truth about my/our beliefs?” The key skill here, is having the humility and courage to scrutinize our own beliefs and assumptions for validity. Write down the truth as accurately as possible relative to the obstacles and opportunities you are currently facing. By taking ownership of the truth we can then make reasonable assumptions (updated beliefs – a new hypothesis) and hopefully operate with a more accurate picture of reality moving forward. In this phase, our beliefs may shift and our vision may shift. Remember, we are trying to solve 2 problems in life at all times: our internal world and our external word.
- Plan – Refine Plans based on new beliefs and acknowledging reality as it is (the truth). Are visions/goals still relevant? Are there strategic and practical adjustments that need to happen in your life? What are the places of personal growth required to embrace this update in belief system?
- Execution – This is a mental exercise. Repetition is key. Repeat the process. Iterate through the loop.